Established in 1979, Hakwood is a global leader in designing and manufacturing bespoke hardwood floor & wall solutions.
Hakwood’s innovative creations are crafted entirely in-house, in the Netherlands, with an attention to detail and finesse that have become all too rare.
Their enviable global portfolio of high-profile architectural project installations spans over 80 countries, including iconic private residences, luxurious 5-star hotels & lodges, and flagship retail spaces.
The character of a Hakwood floor
Unsurpassed dimensional stability across diverse climatic conditions due to superior construction, including wear-layers of genuine French White Oak, multi-ply substrates of Birch, and water-proof adhesives.
Made in-house: there is complete control of the kiln drying and air drying of French Oak and Birch with the ability to do extra conditioning of both to match the moisture content of floorboards with the relative humidity of the intended site installation site.
The use of sophisticated color agents, individually applied in the Hakwood factory at Werkendam, allow for a deeper, richer coloration that matures over time to develop an attractive patina, unlike a simple stain that is oxidative and dissipates with exposure.
A unique double oil system incorporates color agents and a UV-cured topcoat of clear oil for a more robust finish suited to commercial and residential applications.
Here are some of our favorites…
“We know that a Hakwood floor out-performs, aesthetically & structurally for decades after installation” Barry Solomon, co-founder.
View featured installations
Whilst our own portfolio features aspirational South African architectural projects, here are six of our favourite applications of Hakwood’s creations from abroad:
The Benefits of Flooring & Wall Tiles crafted by HAKWOOD
A longstanding and excellent reputation for aspirational hardwood finishes, made in Europe (founded in 1979; Hakwood finishes have been installed in over 80 countries).
Enviable global project portfolio of high-profile residential, commercial, hospitality, and retail applications, including the likes of W Hotel & National Gallery in London.
- Hakwood is a responsible manufacturer and has FSC mixed-accreditation.
- A policy of promoting a healthy indoor air quality (finishes are certified by multiple healthy interior climate labels) by minimizing carcinogens – little or no added formaldehyde and low VOC oils are used.
- The extensive product range is divided into unique collections across various formats, including plank flooring, herringbone & chevron parquet, and bespoke floor & wall tiles.
- Renowned for the use of sophisticated color agents, individually applied in the factory at Werkendam, allow for a deeper, richer coloration that matures over time to develop an attractive patina, unlike a simple stain or color oil that is oxidative and dissipates with exposure, that often results in a flat, less impressive finish…
- Hakwood’s flooring can be specified in eight different European oak and ash grades. Each grade has specific characteristics that impact the overall look of the finished flooring.
- Independent quality tests include measurements for static load, reaction to fire, scratch resistance, slip resistance, acoustic properties, and compatibility with underfloor heating.
- Unsurpassed dimensional stability (across diverse climatic conditions) due to superior construction, including wear-layers of genuine French White Oak, multi-ply substrates of Birch (with a similar density to the Oak) water-proof glues.
- Made in-house, there is complete control of the kiln drying and air drying of French Oak and Birch with the ability to do extra conditioning of both to match the moisture content of floorboards with the relative humidity of the intended site of installation.
- A unique double oil system incorporating color agents, oxidative oils, and a UV cured top coat of clear oil for a more robust finish.
- Hakwood Complete floor-care products are available for purchase online, including delivery to any address in South Africa.