Established in 1979, Hakwood is a global leader in the design and manufacture of bespoke hardwood floor & wall solutions.
Hakwood’s innovative creations are crafted entirely in-house, in the Netherlands, with an attention to detail and finesse that have become all too rare.
Their enviable global portfolio of high profile architectural project installations spans over 80 countries, including iconic private residences, luxurious 5-star hotels & lodges and flagship retail spaces.
The character of a Hakwood floor
Unsurpassed dimensional stability across diverse climatic conditions due to superior construction, including wear-layers of genuine French White Oak, multi-ply substrates of Birch and water-proof adhesives.
Made in-house: there is full control of the kiln drying and air drying of French Oak and Birch with the ability to do extra conditioning of both to match the moisture content of floorboards with the relative humidity of the intended site installation site.
The use of sophisticated colour agents, individually applied in the Hakwood factory at Werkendam, allow for a deeper, richer colouration that matures over time to develop an attractive patina, unlike a simple stain that is oxidative and dissipates with exposure.
A unique double oil system, incorporating colour agents and a UV-cured topcoat of clear oil for a more robust finish that is suited to commercial and residential applications.
Here are some of our favourites…
“We know that a Hakwood floor out-performs, aesthetically & structurally for decades after installation” Barry Solomon, co-founder.
View featured installations
Whilst our own portfolio features aspirational South African architectural projects, here are six of our favourite applications of Hakwood’s creations from abroad:
Benefits of Specifying Flooring & Wall Tiles by HAKWOOD
A longstanding and excellent reputation for aspirational hardwood finishes, made in Europe (founded in 1979; Hakwood finishes have been installed in over 80 countries).
Enviable global project portfolio of high profile residential, commercial, hospitality and retail applications including the likes of W Hotel & National Gallery in London.
Specified by leading architects & designers such as Marcel Wanders and Kelly Hoppen.
- Hakwood is a responsible manufacturer, and has FSC mixed-accreditation.
- A policy of promoting a healthy indoor air quality (finishes are certified by multiple healthy interior climate labels) by minimizing carcinogens – little or no added formaldehyde and low VOC oils are used.
- Extensive product range divided into unique collections, across a variety of formats including plank flooring, herringbone & chevron parquet, and bespoke floor & wall tiles
- Renowned for the use of sophisticated colour agents, individually applied in the factory at Werkendam, allow for a deeper, richer colouration that matures over time to develop an attractive patina, unlike a simple stain or colour oil that is oxidative and dissipates with exposure, that often results in an insipid, less impressive finish…
- Hakwood’s flooring can be specified in eight different European oak and ash grades. Each grade has specific characteristics that impacts the overall look of the finished flooring.
- Independent quality tests include measurements for static load, reaction to fire, scratch resistance, slip resistance, acoustic properties and compatibility with underfloor heating.
- Unsurpassed dimensional stability (across diverse climatic conditions) due to a superior construction including wear-layers of genuine French White Oak, multi-ply substrates of Birch (with a similar density to the Oak) and water-proof glues.
- Made in-house; there is full control of the kiln drying and air drying of French Oak and Birch with the ability to do extra conditioning of both to match the moisture content of floorboards with the relative humidity of the intended site of installation.
- A unique double oil system, incorporating colour agents, oxidative oils and a UV cured top coat of clear oil for a more robust finish.
- Hakwood Complete floor-care products available for purchase online at including delivery to any address in South Africa.