BESTWOOD is proud to partner with New Zealand based, ABODO, who carefully craft beautiful & durable timber solutions that are sustainable and renewable.
For every tree milled, Abodo ensures it provides more than 30 years of service, which is as long as it takes to grow a replacement tree.
Vulcan thermally modified Cladding & Panelling are created from plantation timber and engineered with a patented vertical grain orientation for superior weathering.
Vulcan Decking is treated with an organic preservative system that includes a water repellent for superior durability.
Featured products by Abodo
Vulcan exterior Cladding is lightweight, dimensionally stable and has a subtle band-sawn surface texture for an authentic look and maximum coating adhesion. Choose from a variety of impressive profiles & natural colour tones, including Abodo’s gorgeous Charred Cladding, that has to be seen to be believed!
Exterior Screening & Fins are a great way to introduce the warmth of natural timber to facades. And Abodo’s world-class coating systems result in a more even weathering and extended service life. Bespoke profiles can be machined from raw laminated block in sections from 148 mm x 148 mm up to 200 mm x 300 mm in 5.4 m lengths.
Interiors tones are becoming warmer & richer. Vulcan Panelling brings the beautiful light chocolate colours and sophisticated straight grain to ceiling & wall applications. Of course Strips and Battens in bespoke profiles are also entirely possible. Take a look at the fabulous Roscommon House project showcased lower on this page for inspiration…
Vulcan Decking is wide and reversible, offering both a grip & smooth surface in lengths of up to 5.4 m’s. Abodo’s own Cladding & Deck Screws in stainless steel complete the fixing systems.
“Vulcan’s patented vertical grain orientation results in unrivalled stability & surface integrity”, Frances Wells, A&D consultant.
View featured installations
Enjoy this selection of aspirational projects that showcase the tremendous versatility and longevity of Vulcan timber by Abodo. Be it Cladding, Decking & Screening in exterior applications, or Panelling or bespoke profiles in interior settings, Vulcan timber is a pleasure to machine, install and live with.
Ideally suited to our beautiful landscapes and unforgiving climate, Abodo’s Carefully Crafted Timber solutions are now available to South African architects, interior designers and landscape architects. These material have stood the test of time in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the U.S.A and Japan and we can’t wait to see the innovative design results in SA!
Benefits of Specifying Vulcan Cladding, Screening, Decking & Panelling by ABODO
- ABODO wood is produced from world-class plantation timbers including FSC® and other regionally certified woods.
- 30 / 30 principle: for every tree milled, ABODO ensure it provides more than 30 years of service, as long as it takes to grow a replacement tree.
- Low carbon footprint: ABODO wood is an environmentally compatible substitute for carbon-intensive materials.
- 100% recyclable and reusable & naturally renewable.
- Naturally durable in above ground exterior applications = no chemical preservatives required
- Thermally modified pine is resistant to most wood-boring insects.
- Treated with an organic preservative system, including a water repellent for superior durability.
Dimensional Stability & surface integrity
- Outstanding dimensional stability due to expert thermo modification, resulting in less maintenance and therefore less coating over the lifetime of the product.
- Vulcan Cladding, Panelling and Raw Laminated Block are engineered with a patented vertical grain orientation for unrivalled dimensional stability and vastly reduced surface checking.
- Vulcan Cladding is approximately 50% more stable than flat sawn radiata pine.
- Expected dimensional change in structure: width expansion approximately 2%, length expansion approximately 0.25%, thickness expansion approximately 2.5% (from 7% MC to fibre saturation – variation will occur between boards).
- Improved thermal properties = 20 – 30% better thermal performance than radiata pine.
General & Specs
- Moisture content: approximately 7% MC (+/- 2%) at time of dispatch.
- Extractives and resins are driven out of the wood = reduced resin bleed in service.
- Vulcan Cladding has little or no corrosiveness on most metals (equivalent to untreated softwood) and can be placed in contact with most building materials. Normal PVA, PU, MUF glues, and RF resins can be used.
- Glue: new generation polyurethane adhesive – VOC, solvent, and formaldehyde-free.
- Light weight cladding.
- Protector Oils are low in VOC (85 g/L).
- An innovative secret fix system which means large reductions in installation time and superior service performance.
- Beautiful light chocolate brown colour (will weather to grey if left uncoated).
- Clear grade of timber in long lengths = less wastage during installation.